Do you buy white sauce for pastas or lasagne? I recently found out how easy it is to make your own by watching this video from fellow Brit Gordon Ramsay. I needed a quick and easy meal, so I made this in less than 5 minutes, poured it over some pasta and voila! Instant toddler/mom food.
I’ve broken the steps down, but the most important thing to remember is to be fast with this. Stir fast and whisk fast to avoid lumps. And if you don’t have nutmeg, don’t worry, it will still taste great. Give it a try!
White Sauce with Cheese
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup white flour
1.5 cups cold milk
(optional) 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese- but feel free to add more cheese!
Pinch of nutmeg
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter over a medium heat.
2. Add the flour. With a wooden spoon, mix well. The butter and flour will produce a type of “dough.”
3. Add 1/2 cup of milk and stir quickly with the wooden spoon. Keep stirring until the lumps have gone. Gordon Ramsay notes that you shouldn’t be afraid to take the pan off the burner and stir using the residual heat. Then put it back on.
4. Add another 1/2 cup of milk. Put away your wooden spoon and use a whisk. Whisk vigorously!
5. Add the last cup of milk, pinch of nutmeg, salt and pepper. Whisk, whisk, whisk! The consistency should be smooth.
6. If you are adding cheese, do so now. I add a lot because it’s yummy.
7. Whisk until it all melts. You’re left with a smooth, delicious sauce just falling through your whisk.
Done! Simple and delicious. You can use this for lasagne or pour it over pasta. Or just eat it off a spoon. Not that I would know….