Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes = LOVE
I know, I know. It’s just after the new year and I should be thinking about New Years Resolutions and dieting and losing weight. Maybe it’s all the stroller reviews that are making me crave sweets? Maybe it’s the fact that I’m a baker at heart? (Psst…I’m a great baker but not such a good cook!) Maybe I’m secretly trying to sabotage everyone’s New Years Resolutions? (I’m not, I swear!)
First, it was the Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies. Yep, we are still eating those. And now I just have to share with you this fabulously delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcake recipe. And yes, I have a thing with chocolate chip cookies in every form! And no, this doesn’t mean I’m going to start throwing recipes at you instead of baby product reviews. This is it (for a while!), I swear!
I was searching for a good cupcake recipe to make for friends that I wanted to surprise with a “cupcake delivery”. I know, I know…cupcakes are so 2010! I’m okay with that. In my search, I found THE best cupcake recipe that I have ever seen and tasted. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes! Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough + Cupcakes = LOVE! The recipe is so easy to make and it can be modified to your liking. I like to make it with chocolate cake and a buttercream icing! But yellow or white cake with a chocolate icing could be fabulous too! Here’s the recipe from allrecipes.com:
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough + Cupcake = The BEST Cupcake. Ever
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 (18.25 ounce) box yellow cake mix *(I use chocolate cake mix!)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 eggs
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and sea salt; set aside. Beat the butter, white sugar, and brown sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Add 1 egg and the vanilla extract and beat until smooth. Mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated. Fold in the chocolate chips; mixing just enough to evenly combine. Form the dough into tablespoon-sized balls; place onto a baking sheet, and freeze until solid, about 2 hours.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 24 muffin cups with paper liners.
- Beat 3 eggs in a large bowl with an electric mixer to break up. Add the cake mix, water, and canola oil; continue beating for 2 minutes on medium speed. Spoon into the prepared cupcake liners, filling each 2/3 full. Place a frozen cookie dough ball on the top center of each cupcake.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the cake portion of the cupcake (not the cookie dough ball) comes clean, about 20 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Here is a great tip from the recipe submitter:
“I’m the recipe submitter & wanted to clarify a few things so people are not disappointed. First, you cannot skip the freezing the cookie dough step…if you do, the dough WILL bake along w/the cake and be very dry. It’s also imperative you don’t overbake (or you’ll get the same dry baked cookie results); I actually usually only bake about 16-18 min. I CAN’T STRESS ENOUGH, DO NOT OVER BAKE! It will seem like it’s too early to take them out, but it’s not. Check the outer ridge of the cupcake (otherwise you’re getting the dough on your toothpick which should stay *wet*). These are great w/pretty much any cake flavor and can be made even easier by using prepared cookie dough (just don’t skip the freezing step!). When I try a new chocolate chip cookie dough recipe (or even bake old favs), I always double it and freeze some cookie dough balls for future batches of these! I HAVE tried this as a cake, but have yet to perfect the cookie dough ball size/bake time…when I get it *right*, I’ll add the dimensions/bake time to my review. THANKS, everyone, for trying (and rating and posting pics of!) my recipe! Enjoy!”
How do you make the frosting?
I used chocolate cupcakes with Martha Stewart’s Buttercream icing (I sub vanilla for the lemon though!): http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/lemony-swiss-meringue-buttercream
Trying this out today. The lazy way (pre made cookie dough and frosting)!
This really looks so yummy! I can’t wait to try this one. I want to know too how you make the frosting.
My husband just suggested the lazy way! Lol
I think I can make it in a lazy way since I am not really a good baker. LOL. By the way, your cupcakes really look so indulging and so yummy.