Here’s a recipe for a pizza crust that I always make for my family. It fits all of the above criteria and more. Make it for dinner tonight or for your next dinner party, and it will be an instant hit!
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for rolling
1 teaspoon of honey
1 packet of instant dry yeast
2 teaspoons of sea salt
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus 2 teaspoons
1. Combine the dry ingredients (flour, yeast and sea salt) in a bowl.
2. Mix the honey in the water. Then, add the honey-water mixture and 2 tablespoons of the oil and mix, then knead until the dough forms into a smooth, solid ball. The ball should be soft but firm. If it’s too hard, add more water. If it’s too runny and overly sticky, add more flour.
3. Grease a large bowl with the remaining olive oil.
4. Add the dough and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow it to double in size. This usually takes me 45 minutes – 1 hour.
5. After it has risen, knead the dough a bit more on a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Cover both pieces with a damp towel or plastic wrap. Allow them to rest for about 10 minutes.
Add toppings and bake pizza in an oven on a pizza stone at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, or until the crust browns and cheese thoroughly melts and bubbles. Instead of a pizza stone, you can also use a cast iron pan or a metal pizza pan. Personally, I prefer the outcome of pizzas made on my pizza stone.
For my picky eating children, I usually make a cheese pizza, but you can have fun and add whatever toppings you like. Some of my favorites are olives, grilled chicken, and finely chopped fresh basil.
Happy pizza eating!